Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Have We Turned The Corner?


Dear America,

“An election is a bet on the future, not a popularity test of the past.” – James Reston

I started this primary season with a reason to hope. For the first time in history an African-American and a woman both competing seriously to be the Democratic nominee for President of the U.S. I began as a Clinton supporter. I knew her and her politics. I knew her husband. All I could think was “who is this Obama character and why would he want to be President now?” I questioned his speeches about hope with calls for more substance and policy. “He’s a rookie!” I would tell my pro-Obama friends and colleagues. “He should try to be VP if anything.”

In traveling from school to school I saw young people around the city involved in the political process. For the first time (more then when George Bush stole an election) I have seen high school students engaged and passionate about the outcome of elections. And not just black students. White students as well. The young people. The next generation. All with a vision of the future that was so much brighter and optimistic than I had. Seeing them made me hopeful. And after doing some more research on Obama and his policies (particularly education) and watching his decisive wins in February and March I decided to switch candidates. I realized that the next President is not going to be able to fix all of America’s problems. No one can in 8 years. What they can do is change the trajectory of America with regards to its politics and foreign policy. And yet, that hope has been somewhat tempered over the past few months with the ongoing nomination fight and the comments of Reverend Jeremiah Wright.


“The President is the only person who can change the direction or attitude of our nation.” – Jimmy Carter

But, even with this nomination on the brink of becoming a reality, I am still afraid. I am afraid that my beloved country has not turned the corner. Although I’ve never lived through dogs and fire hoses being turned on peaceful marchers, I am scared because there are still people who yearn for those times. People who, in their minds, still live in the “Old South”. Dixie. Those people whose attitude about minorities and equality has not changed. They exist in Kentucky, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and every other state in this Union and to deny it would be to deny the history of the United States. Although this mindset exists in a minority of Americans, it still exists and it is still powerful. The “American mind” can be very weak. It has been and can be easily manipulated by those in power. There are those who do not want to see the attitude of America change. They are perfectly happy with fanning the flames of racism and sexism in this country because it works to their advantage. It keeps people ignorant and scared of any change.


They show pictures of Obama in traditional African garb or loop the same 3 minutes of an old angry pastor in church. They say Barack HUSSEIN Obama to scare people into thinking he has a connection to Saddam Hussein. They go on the news and scream that if Hillary Clinton isn’t the nominee, they are voting for John McCain!! “I just don’t trust him,” and “Isn’t he a Muslim?” they say.


“All our great Presidents were leaders of thought at times when certain historic ideas in the life of the nation had to be clarified.” – FDR


If Obama is the nominee it is something so much bigger than you or I. It is so much bigger than Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. It is bigger than black and white. Whether you are a “patriot” or a dissident, this election represents a paradigm shift. An understanding. A reaching across the aisle that is not just Democrat to Republican. It is reaching across gender, across races, across religions and across nations. Past to present to future. A revolution of thought. As I heard Armstrong Williams say, “a spiritual revolution in this country.” A revolution that speaks to the true greatness of America that no matter what your history is, you can achieve whatever you want. The idea that America IS the land of opportunity and the American Dream CAN become a reality.

Sincerely,

Akil E. Kennedy

No comments: